patti
Getting many short, Blackberry type, updates from himself and the boy. Today they visited one of my favorite sites in Austria, Melk Abby . This place has one of, if not the most beautiful baroque chapels I have ever seen (and believe you me I've seen a bunch).

Now they are on their way to Vienna where they will visit Schoenbrunn Palace, pictures of which are about half way down the linked page - these were the best photos I could find on a quick internet search. Word is they have recently restored their boxwood maze and the boy gets to go in and try to find his way through, he is gonna love that. Years ago, when last we visited Vienna the girls and I attended a show of the Lipizzaner Stallions at the Spanish Riding School, but I don't think the boys are planning to repeat that part of the trip. If I know the man, and I do, they'll also visit Saint Stephans Cathedral. He simply cannot pass up a European church, chapel, or cathedral. They do them so very well.
5 Responses
  1. Peter Says:

    Those pictures make me glad our B-17s has limited range in 1944-'45. It's surprising those buildings, and their adornment survived the Ruskies.


  2. patti Says:

    My FIL was a boy in Austria during the war. First he was pressed into service by the Nazis as part of the guard for his town, then he was captured by the British and forced into labor in coal mines. But yes, very glad these beautiful buildings are still there.


  3. Joanie Says:

    I wanna visit one of those mazes!


  4. Suzette Says:

    Small world - I just visited the Spanish Riding School in Vienna yesterday - courtesy of eBay.


  5. patti Says:

    I smiled when I saw your post. That is quite a show there isn't it.


Post a Comment