patti
Now I'm rearranging some of the furniture. Stays quiet long enough I'll get a couple rooms painted :)

D3 just called from The Gathering of the Clans at Grandfather Mountain (Scottish clans). She borrowed someone's harp up there and won the harp competition - she had not prepared a thing, just thought it'd be fun.

Talked to D2 this morning, via SKYPE - love me some SKYPE. She's planning to Brit Rail Pass her way to Stonehenge tomorrow. I'm jealous of this one, always wanted to see that. Later this week she'll be attending a play at Stratford upon Avon and visiting the Shakespeare house/s. Sometime this week she hopes to catch dinner at the pub where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien used to compare notes. In case anyone is wondering, she is doing a study abroad at Oxford this summer - classes four days a week, lots of plays, lots of museums, lots of exploring.

Been getting Blackberry updates from himself and the boy five or six times a day. They are traveling through Austria, Germany, Hungary, and the Czech Republic all this month. This is a fantastic trip for the boy, he is totally immersed in the culture as they are visiting family and friends of my husband's parents while there. Maybe he'll be speaking a little German by the time he gets home. The last email I got from himself reads:
Ich bin zum bet. Ist 23:00 schon.
Good thing I've been married to him long enough to understand this one.

I'm not on this trip for several reasons, not the least of which is that my husband is shepherding his parents on what is likely to be their final trip back to their native home. They didn't think they'd ever get to go again as they no longer feel able to handle transportation and such on their own. We wanted the boy to visit while the remaining Great Aunts and Uncles are still living, so he could have a connection to that part of his heritage - so my husband offered to chaperon his parents so they could go one last time. The four of them are moving as a pack. I'm afraid, had I gone, five would have departed but only four would have returned. My MIL means well, bless her heart (southern thing there ya'll), but I'd have killed her inside the first week.
7 Responses
  1. pamibe Says:

    Your own vacation!! :D

    I'm glad everyone is enjoying their summer... sounds like any one of the trips would be memorable and fascinating.


  2. patti Says:

    Ah but the Pièce de résistance is the trip planned for November, and I AM going on that one.
    Thailand baby! Gonna ride an elephant for an hour trek! But lots of rows to hoe between now and then. How's that for a anniversary gift? We did nothing for any anniversary until this one, saving up for a bang!


  3. Mrs. Who Says:

    Wow...a vacation away from everyone and then a vacation with your honey. Lucky you!


  4. patti Says:

    He racks up frequent flyer miles, and has done a couple trips (with D2) with the same travel company we are using for Thailand so he gets a big fat discount. He has always been good at finding travel deals. The first cuise we took was the Alaska inside passage - he got the kids on for $50 each for a 10 day cruise!!!!!!


  5. Joanie Says:

    Everyone gets a vacation of some sort this summer, it seems. Especially you. May this little respite give you time to soak in a tub uninterrupted, read a book uninterrupted, contemplate the freckles on your toes uninterrupted...in other words, enjoy your time your way!


  6. patti Says:

    aah well, party over - D3 is back with her boyfriend in tow.
    on the other hand, i have the power of fear over the boyfriend - i can make him help me move furniture around and mow and he'll do it :)


  7. diamond dave Says:

    Yeah, even though I really enjoyed our family vacation, there are times where I wish I could go have a brief holiday of my own and worry about no one else but myself. And I'd love to someday go to Europe and explore Germany and Austria. Your boy must be having the time of his life. Good that kids his age are able to get out and see the world.


Post a Comment