patti
I managed the short trip ok, except for my feet. I just don't do heels well. But for this I had to wear them three evenings running, including standing at "receptions" for two hours before dinner each night. So I have blisters and my feet hurt! But I'll survive. I am pretty famous in this town for showing up at a party in heels and taking them of to go barefoot within fifteen min. But this was not the time or place to go all hill billy. Although I did dare the dance floor barefoot the last night, for one dance - and take my word for it I was the only one out there barefooten. Sort of a risk on my part as the floor was PACKED with middle aged to elderly hottentots. By that point my feet were in such pain and so swollen I couldn't wedge them back in the shoes anyway. God knows what the society types are writing about me now.

Batman was perplexed as to why women will not eat in front of other women when I pointed out to him that not one woman in the crowd was partaking of the hors(e) d'oeuvres. And that, though women would take a spoon of several different desserts in the buffet, they would then eat no more than half of what was on their plates. He just doesn't get it. Of course normally I'd eat anyway, but this crowd was much more hoity towity than the norm.

I was able (thank you Jesus) to stay with the more down to earth two or three for the most part. One in particular is a lot like me and every bit as uncomfortable as I in these circles. While standing next to each other waiting for our cars when departing she poked me in the ribs, pointed at our jeans and stated " no more resort wear!"

It was rather amusing a couple times to experience ladies who were obviously being nice to me only because of who my husband is. One in particular had been very nice every time she saw me, it just happened that himself was with me each of those times. But then as we checked out she looked at me and didn't even smile, just walked by - she didn't see that the caped crusader was just behind me and at that point in jeans himself so she couldn't be bothered with me that time. I thought it was pretty funny. She is trying to cozy up to him at every opportunity. But I pointed out to him how she had just totally dis-ed me. Shallow, snotty, phony people. Who needs them?

During the days, while the important spouses were doing what they do, I slept a little later - had breakfast - worked out - took nice quiet walks - read my book - and then took naps. I could have done with another day or two of that part!

Ya know it is sort of neat. When I snagged this guy we were both in high school with no real idea where we'd end up. Here we are 30 plus years later, still married. We did met one other couple there who had been an item since 2nd grade. Can't beat that one.
7 Responses
  1. Mrs. Who Says:

    I would make up 'stories' in my mind about each of the hoity-toity people. Silly stories. And then it would make me smile like a fool at them...make them wonder if the have tp hanging out behind them.

    Or raise an eyebrow, look them up and down, and then raise your glass to them in a silent toast. Make them wonder what the heck you know about them.


  2. patti Says:

    ha! I'll just do that next time! Think I'll go with the sencond one :)


  3. pamibe Says:

    Sounds terrifying. Give me a barbecue with rednecks any day over a bunch of dressed to the nines snots. Ugh. And heels? Double ugh!

    Glad you weathered the storm and made it back alive!! :D


  4. Peter Says:

    And now it's back to shoveling horsecrap in the stable. At least horsecrap makes good fertilizer.


  5. patti Says:

    I don't mind horse crap, it is people crap I can't stand.


  6. Joanie Says:

    People crap sucks. That's why you really should make up stories in your head about new people you have to deal with. If you have that one other pal there? Enlist her in your mind's musings.


  7. patti Says:

    Oh she is far batter behaved than I.


Post a Comment