patti
Well a little interest has been expressed in how I home school so I'll share a little here. The main points to understand about homeschooling is that not every kid is suited and not every home is suited.

The main advantage to homeschooling is that as the parent of the child you should, if you are doing the job, know your kid better than anyone and know how your child learns better than anyone. You should know your child's strengths and weaknesses better than anyone and you should know your child's interests better than anyone. If you do not, you probably shouldn't home school.

Many people say oh I don't know how to teach, I don't have the education for teaching, or I can't teach my child anything. Um, most likely you have taught your child more by the time he/she is ready for kindergarten than he/she will ever learn in school. Think about it. Can your child eat with utensils, walk upright, speak in sentences, tie shoes, dress them self? Does your child recognize family members, neighbors, church members, and know how to properly address them? Can your child make friends, color, put toys away, for that matter play with toys appropriately? Could your child do these things the day of birth? We begin (or at least should begin) teaching our children from the moment they are born. So yes you can teach your own child.

The number one best thing (in my opinion of course) your child can do to learn is read - read- read. Reading anything at all teaches. It teaches vocabulary, sentence structure, grammar, spelling, organization of thought. Depending on what is read it can teach manners, interpersonal relationships, history, geography, social studies, science (all of them), art, and on and on. The trick is finding a variety of things for a child to read that they can understand (but always stretch understanding just a bit) and that will hold their interest at least a short while. If you can, through careful selection, spark a love of reading then from there learning and homeschooling is a snap. Seriously the largest part of our homeschooling is about reading. I spend most of my time as a "teacher" researching, finding, and acquiring reading material. It might be the spine of a cereal box - explain to the kidlet what the info is all about, nutrition and science lesson - or a magazine, most magazines have something to offer in the way of learning for most any kid - letters colors animals in ads for the youngest kids - conversation about articles having to do with anything from exercise to international relations for older kids. As for novels, there are so many good books - the hardest thing for me has been finding good literature for my boy, the girls were easy but it is harder to find things that interest boys. But it is out there, he loves Tolkien and CS Lewis. Historical fiction keeps interest while teaching history and they often don't even realize they are learning history. There are many good history, science, and arts periodicals out there. We keep National Geographics, Smithsonian Magazine, American History Illustrated, and Discover magazines in the house. We don't subscribe to all of them all the time but these are magazines that do not become obsolete so a year or two puts lots in your hands. For younger kids National Geo Kids, Kids Discover, Boys Life, and magazines by the people who do Highlights are great. I do push my kids to read at adult level as soon as possible, opens up a world of opportunity for learning with much less effort on my part :)

Another major part of our homeschooling is simply talking with our kids. We discuss all the time, maybe we discuss marketing and economic factors after a commercial - was it funny or boring? was it effective? why? did it look expensive to produce? does this effect the price of the item or service? how do they make the commercial? how did they decide what to do for a commercial or ad? how much does it cost to run an ad? does it matter what time or what venue? Or maybe we see kids (or adults) behaving badly somewhere - dressed slutily, pitching a fit, whining, being rude or pushy, loud, nasty mouth, disrespectful - we'd discuss why they might behave that way, what effect their behavior has on both the person and those around, what better way might they get what they want. Maybe we hear a word used that I don't think my kid knows, so we talk about the word, its meaning(s), use(s), when you are likely to hear the word. If I hear someone on the TV or radio use poor or awkward grammar/sentence structure (usually news anchors, argg) I'll repeat what was said then ask where the problem is in how it was expressed and how might they state it more clearly. If we hear something that brings to mind a historic point, science issue, political ideal, geographic fact - whatever - we have an on the spot lesson. It is simply constant in other words. We talk to our kids, a lot.

Learning also happens, of course, through experiences so we are always looking for opportunities for them to try something new. From learning to do the grilling themselves to kayaking. Hiking to volunteering with chemo patients. Crafts to travel. Whatever presents itself as an opportunity. Anytime we are walking, on a city sidewalk or a mountain trail - we are watching for plants, rock formations, erosion evidence, cloud formations, insects, whatever and we talk about them. We never just walk along, we are always observing.

Now there are draw backs to this sort of life style, and homeschooling the way we do is a lifestyle. I spend most all my time either working on something for the kids or taking care of household stuff. There is very little time for me. It has been this way for a long time, but now with the youngest turning 12 in less than two weeks there begins to be a bit more time for me. I don't really mind giving all this time to my kids, they don't stay kids forever and frankly I'd rather spend time with them than anyone else. This way we are close, we get along, and I get the bonus of having people always be amazed by my kids. They make me look good!
9 Responses
  1. pamibe Says:

    I totally agree with your opinion about reading! It truly opens doors onto a wide world of knowledge...

    I have one year of NatGeo here, from 2000. I still read them and you're right; they're timeless. Except the ads. ;)


  2. patti Says:

    yeah, and the ads serve as time capsules so even those are useful for education purposes.


  3. Mrs. Who Says:

    Honey, I applaud you and all your work with your kids. As a teacher and a parent, you don't know how much I envy what you get to do!


  4. patti Says:

    It is great to have the time with my kids, seriously. I wish every parent could have the time, but more than that, I wish every parent cared enough about their kids to want the time. I am so sick of parents who don't even notice their kids. And there is plenty I sacrifice to be able to do this with my kids. It is well worth it. Maybe it is because of the age gap between one and two, I didn't have this kind of time with #1, but that made me realize the necessity to make the sacrifices to be with the other three.


  5. patti Says:

    But I am very glad the kids in your class have you Mrs Who, and I wish more kids had teachers who care the way you do.


  6. Joanie Says:

    Reading is fundamental, to cop a phrase. It serves as a window to other cultures, trips to other lands, a transmogrification into another creature.

    For a boy: Pat McManus. Pulling the collections and then comparing his writing, arranging stories in chronological order, following his career...how did he turn what he saw into a way to make money? And there are other authors: Jack London, Farley Mowat, James Thurber. Good stuff for boys. Lots of room for him to grow into some of them. Email me if you want more author suggestions.


  7. vw bug Says:

    My problem was that I read to them until they were older. They should have been reading to me all the time. Sigh. Live and learn. This is great advice. Thanks for posting it.


  8. diamond dave Says:

    This would be a great primer for those who are considering homeschooling. My only issue with homeschooling is it can be overwhelming for many parents, particularly those that are unable to make the full-time commitment 24/7 for their kids without a break. But for those that can and are willing, go for it.


  9. patti Says:

    val- reading to them takes too long... and certainly it is not too late to get them reading, but I bet thy already do. and keep in mind i did not home school the first, she was all the way through high school before i became frustrated enough to begin home schooling the second two - i too had to live and learn, i just had them far enough apart to be able to do that.

    dave- indeed it can be overwhelming though i think the hardest thing about home schooling is getting up the courage to give it a go. and of course it is a pretty much full time commitment, but more for the life style. as for sitting and "teaching", i do very little of that. i spend the first year or two of home schooling teaching them to do it themselves. then i spend my time looking for books and adventures, and making sure they are doing what they are supposed to do. home schooling means you have the whole of every day year round to be sure what needs to be covered is. you don't have to commit to 7 hours a day 5 days a week as regular school would be. it is a much more flexable program, and when all is said and done you've covered far more in far less time.


Post a Comment