patti
Nope, but in a sort of tangential way we have a few things in common (besides corgis).

I too love beautiful glassware and dishes. Mine tend to be a more relaxed sort of collecting - and my dishes have a somewhat international flare, because - as I have stated elsewhere - we travel and I like color and traditional art. So here are a few shots of my personal collection.



This shot shows a serving dish carefully carried home to me by my hub from a spring break school trip he chaperoned with D2. There are several pieces I will share that they brought me. This particular dish came from the bazaar in Morocco. Also shown here is a deep blue teapot from Russia (eBay purchase)I'll need to get a better picture of somehow, against the back a copper ware plate from Turkey, and a little engraved silver mug with a little silver fork that were mine as a baby. I suppose this means I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth - not sure who gave this gift, but my friends we were poor. The crystal bud vase was brought to me by my husband and son just this summer - they picked it up in Prague.



These two tiny plates are deep blue with gold - the one shows Don Don Quixote and his sidekick, the other a Muslim style geometric design. These also brought to me by the hub from the trip taken several years ago (they went to Spain, Portugal, and Morocco)



This serving bowl we picked up on a visit to Bratislava, Slovakia in 1999 not very many years after the break up of the Czech Republic and Slovakia. I love this bowl - its color and folk art type design. I will show you in a future post something sort of special I have done with this bowl as inspiration.



This teapot is one of my very favorite yard sale finds. For $1 I got this pretty Limoges (Charles Ahrenfeldt - France) teapot (probably from the late 50s-60s), for another 25 cents I got a matching candy plate.



The larger teapot is another from Russia, the smaller teapot is a single serve cup and pot combo and is Tara from Ireland, there is a tassel in the back that D2 brought back from China and a pair of Leprechaun musicians I brought back from Ireland (on one of the four trips I've made there). The plate in back with tiny roses around the edge was a gift from my SIL, her parents had an antique shop in Miami and when they sold off I got a few goodies as gifts.



More of my collection of Russian Lomonosov Porcelain teapots and tea cups. I Love royal blue, and nobody does it better than Lomonosov. I could eat this stuff! A pair of sheep salt and pepper shakers from Ireland, not sure where the larger plate in back is from - another SIL treat - but I do know it is over 100 years old and has a very interesting makers mark engraved into the back, the smaller plate came from Rhodes, Greece. The deer on that plate is the symbol of Rhodes and it is everywhere, even on the man hole covers. The small teacup in the lower corner is from Greece.



This is my MIL's china. I caught her after she had boxed it all up and was going to sell it to Replacements, Inc. Just in time I saved it, convinced her it was worth keeping in the family - so sometime, many years from now :) I will pass pieces to my daughters. It is labeled American Limoge, Bramble with 22-K gold trim (tell me anything about it Suzette?) It is a nearly complete set and in moderately good condition and as they have been married about 55 years - about that old. Another tassel from China.



One more Russian teapot with teacup, saucer, and desert plate, as well as a cream pitcher of a different pattern, a random thrift shop find rose teacup, a pair of Limoge teacups I picked up in Paris, an Old Country Roses Royal Albert teacup and saucer given me by a very very dear friend, and the hand painted rooster plate from Portugal and hand painted folk art platter from Puente, Spain more prizes bought to me by D2 and the hub.

So there you have a sampling of some of my own clutter.
10 Responses
  1. Suzette Says:

    Oooh -- where to begin?

    The Lomonsov. I just saw this for the first time this year when I was looking thru eBay for a teapot with forget-me-nots on it. Very lovely. I'm a fan of the blue and white myself.


  2. p Says:

    My mouth waters at antique etched glassware like you are always showing. I already collect so much, I restrain myself and just look at it - for now :)


  3. Don Says:

    That's quite a collection!

    We're not big collectors, but my wife started collecting Polish pottery when we were stationed in Heidelberg, Germany in the early to mid 90's (we both loved the blue and white color schemes). She still uses those as daily-use serving dishes but we're all on notice that they are to be handled with CARE :-).


  4. p Says:

    Yes indeedy! handle with care. Polish dishware is expensive! and beautiful :)


  5. Mrs. Who Says:

    Fabulous collection. Eclectic and beautiful. You're very fortunate to have such a collection and the ability to gain them. (I love that your husband buys it for you, too!)


  6. p Says:

    Years in the collecting - mostly gifts - and until recently the dollar was pretty strong. Things purchased in Greece, Turkey, Morocco, and Russia were amazingly inexpensive. The lucky part is the travel. Even there, the hub still has family in Europe plus he can find amazing travel deals. When the girls were home schooled we were able to travel off season. Huge savings.
    And yup, he is very good to bring me home goodies when he travels without me :)
    Then there are the yard sale, thrift shop finds...


  7. Laura Says:

    Ohhhhh very nice!
    The only thing I seem to collect anymore is Arby wrappers in my car.


  8. p Says:

    heehee, yeah well my fat cell collection is growing by leaps and bounds...


  9. Suzette Says:

    I'm looking at that Lomonsov photo again and I see how the etching on the top of the vases in the back corner echos the trellis design on the porcelain. Very nice indeed.


  10. p Says:

    You give me far too much credit for organization and design of my clutter - haahaa

    All the Russian teapots are Lomonsov - that particular design is Cobalt Net, probably their most popular - but there are sooo many beautiful patterns.

    DW has me looking at Polish pottery again. I LOVE it, the colors and folk are designs are so gorgeous - but it is so expensive. We were in Poland once a few years ago (same year we went to Russia) but I had already spent all my surprise money in Russia by the time we got to Poland. The prices in Russia were unbelievable.


Post a Comment