patti
The second book I recommend is Mama, Do You Love Me? By Barbara M. Joosse, again deliciously illustrated by Barbara Lavallee, published by Chronicle Books and, gratefully, not out of print.

This book is a precious string of questions by a young Inuit child to her mother

What if I threw water at our lamp?
Then, Dear One, I would be very angry. But still, I would love you.

What if I put a salmon in your parka, ermine in your mittens, and lemmings in your mukluks?...

What if I ran away?
Then I would be worried.
What if I stayed away and sang with the wolves and slept in a cave?
Then, Dear One, I would be very sad. But still I would love you.

What if I turned into a musk-ox?
Then I would be very surprised.
What if I turned into a walrus?
Then I would be surprised and a little scared.
....I will love you, forever and for always, because you are my Dear One.



The story is sweet, honest, and loving. The illustrations stunning - colorful - and suggestive of native Alaskan art done in watercolor. I discovered this one on our first ever cruise up the inside passage to/in Alaska. Avoid the board book - not long lasting enough.

6 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I recommend an book by a Native American titled "How Indians Get Their Names" by Two Dogs Humping. (I seriously edited that last word. You're welcome.)


  2. patti Says:

    Thanks Laura - giggle, I think...


  3. pamibe Says:

    "But still, I would love you."

    What a great message. Not enough kids have unconditional love these days...


  4. Don Says:

    We have that one, and I've read it MANY times...

    :-)


  5. patti Says:

    D.W. - isn't it stunning?


  6. Don Says:

    It is a great book, with a great message.


Post a Comment