patti
Thank you rings hollow, tears flow when I think of them. I see faces I want to touch, hands I want to clasp. My heart aches with gratitude and sorrow.




Last August, as my D3 and I sat at the airport in Shannon Ireland, waiting for our flight home, we were suddenly surrounded by men and women of the US military. Some smiling and chatting, some quiet - grabbing some rest. They were on their way away from home (Texas)- toward danger in Baghdad. We took time to chat with some, there was one young woman in the group who had a tiny mandolin in her hands. She was trying to figure out how to tune it. She'd bought it to bring along and maybe learn a little how to play during her precious down time. My D3 reached for the mandolin with a smile, quickly tuned it and handed it back. Then explained the tuning and gave the soldier a few tips. I was so very proud - of both of them. D3 probably gave the soldier a gift greater than anything I could have. I hope that young woman is safe now - maybe even home.
6 Responses
  1. Mrs. Who Says:

    What a wonderful gift your daughter gave to someone else! It's as if she was meant to be there right at that time.


  2. patti Says:

    That was sort of how I felt about it.


  3. vw bug Says:

    Wow, gave me goose bumps. Thank you for sharing that story. I love to hear good news and people being nice to our military.


  4. Joanie Says:

    God bless D3 and you (for raising such a great kid).


  5. Jody Says:

    Hi Patti. I came from Boudicca's Voice. I read your comments about your daughter's music and figured I could probably learn much from you as my 4-yo wants to play the Irish fiddle. Then I came over and read your "about me" and came to like you more as I am an evil conservative, too. Then I read your Memorial Day story and, well, we've had similar experiences in Shannon. Not with instruments, but my eldest is a hugger- and we always thank our soldiers whenever we see them (hubby was in the Army- Big Red 1). I would love to talk with you. I'm easy to contact via www.HaveKidWillTravel.com (check out our Ireland photos!) or www.IowaGeekOnline.com.

    Sorry for the length of this. I hope I wasn't too forward. Jody


  6. patti Says:

    No problem Jody! I am up for any discussion of kids, kids and music, kids and travel and even evil conservatism :)


Post a Comment