patti
I took this passage to heart back in the first couple years of my 30 plus year marriage. It is what I have striven (? is that a word?) to live my life by. Try to be content with what I have, where I am, who I am - not so good with the last one sometimes, but I try. The things we need to live we most always have (that is why we are still alive maybe?), the things we need to be happy are usually there too, so long as we have eyes to see and hearts to understand and/or appreciate.

Like many of you, I grew up poor - and I mean poor, seriously. But we always had food, a roof, and clothes - not fancy clothes but clothes. I too hit the door and played outside all day, though I didn't always check in, we lived in a small town and folks always let my folks know where they had seen me so, ya know, can't get away with too much. If I couldn't get a ride the 5-6 miles to where my horse was or to a friend's house, I walked. Once I was in the saddle I could go anywhere. Rode that mare all over that county. Things were not always good, I was not always happy, but I managed. (man I could tell some stories Pete :)

Then when I got married he was in college so we lived off what I made as a waitress. Poor! Had to sell the horse, newlyweds can't afford horses! But we got by (good thing he is crazy smart and had a full scholarship!) and when he graduated we had no debt - that was all the way through a post graduate degree. We lived on $50 a week in grocery money while he was in school, long time. Not fancy food, but we managed.

Lots of people are struggling now, including members of my own family and some very dear friends. I'm not a preachy sort, get the log out of my own eye first, for goodness sakes, I hate preachy. But these words have been something I have clung to, and I'm hoping they may help some of the people I care about. Unlike most folks who know the last verse, I find the first 3 the most inspiring. Maybe some of you can find help and encouragement here too. Don't have to be joyful, content will do, at least for me. In fact I can't really remember the last time I was "joyful" or even particularly excited about anything, but I feel comfortable with content - joyful and excited both take too much energy! Love you guys. And I hope each of us find ourselves in better days soon.

Philippians 4:11-13

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
3 Responses
  1. pamibe Says:

    Ah, you echo my own thoughts!

    I don't know whether my ability to be content and yes, even joyful, in all situations is because of growing up poor or just my nature or because of my faith.

    AND I don't know that I care which it is... not too into navel gazing at the moment. ;)

    I have said this a lot: "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." Because I grew up on King James, of course. ;-)

    Happy Saturday!


  2. Mrs. Who Says:

    Wonderful post...that is the difference in childhood 'yesterday' and today. Kids today don't know how to be 'content' and are therefore unhappy. And then they race around as adults trying to get rid of the 'unhappy'. We have to get back to enjoying what we have.


  3. patti Says:

    thanks pam & mrs who. kids and a disturbing number of adults seem to try to base their idea of happiness on wether or not they have whatever the newest gaming system, phone, etc...
    simplicity goes a long way toward contentment.


Post a Comment