patti
Right here in my home county - though thank God not our district

So I'm thinking this is not the best way to try to relate to the students? What d'ya think? I surely hope this becomes something of an up-roar here and this teacher is shown the door. I'm going to see what more I can get about this...

Update -
OK first let me say apparently I am about the only one in the US just hearing about this - I've now even found news stories in the UK on the subject. Second, I held my nose and listened to our local radio talk show maroon this afternoon to hear what the locals are saying. I am actually hearing both parents and teachers defend this guy?! Unbelievable. There is, in my opinion of course, no circumstance under which this this behavior is acceptable in a teacher. Period. It just blows my mind that anyone would defend. This is bullying first and foremost, and unprofessional to the extreme. I thought our schools were doing everything they could to stop bullying yet here we have a teacher engaging in the tactic. Simply flabbergasting.

Apparently last week when this all blew up the county school board tried to be all hush hush and we support the teacher (?!) but as of today, thank God, this has changed. Nothing like the world wide media making us hillbillies look like, well - idiots. I understand the teacher is suspended from the classroom pending investigation.

I can save the county the money and trouble. All I need is the paper with the words "-20% for being a Loser! (underscore times two)" and his admission that he wrote it (which I understand not only does he admit but is proud of as his "unique style of teaching") - Investigation over, gather your belongings dude you are out of here. Case closed, next?...

cheeze.
7 Responses
  1. diamond dave Says:

    Not that I'm an advocate of violence, but I'd be hard pressed not to have a "discussion" with such a teacher in the parking lot after school. Another adult calling my kid a loser? I don't think so. I'm normally pretty supportive of teachers and creative teaching methods, but belittling and humiliating the kids is absolutely not acceptable.


  2. patti Says:

    I still can.not.believe my ears as I hear adults (both teachers and non teachers) defend this guy!

    Had this happened to my kid (and my understanding is he called her a loser because she misspelled a couple words) There would have been 10 forms of hell to pay. And I ain't kidding. I can already tell you the local high school will collectively groan when they see me coming with my son year after next. I don't take no crap from no teacher and though there are some damn good teachers at that school - there are some as bad as this guy as well and we have already tangled a few times while my three daughters went through there...


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I could go on... and on...

    And I think I will a little later. Right now I need to get ready for the 90 students I will teach today, NONE of whom are losers. You haven't earned being a loser yet when you are a minor. It's our job to facilitate the prevention of loser-hood! So I'm going to go spend the next 6.5 hours preventing loser-hood and then once I have a little discretionary time to "myself" (alone time is really nearly impossible to find if you are a teacher who the kids are comfortable with -- sometimes they need a place to get away from the teachers who treat them like losers), I'll say what I think about teachers like this and the damage they do to both children and the teaching profession.

    Uggg...

    D1


  4. patti Says:

    Looking forward to that my wonderful - fantastic example of a good public school teacher - daughter.


  5. pamibe Says:

    Astounding. Not one to usually over dramatize things, if that were my child I'd be at the school demanding the firing of said 'teacher'.


  6. Teresa Says:

    Oh I believe it. I'm surprised we haven't heard something like this sooner. Far too many people enter the field of teaching who have no business being a teacher.

    "Trying to relate"??? Um - here's a clue for this moron - you are NOT their buddy! You are their teacher. You are supposed to encourage them to learn how to think better. Does he also wear the local gang colors to school so he can hang with his homies after school is out?

    This man should be fired... if for nothing else, for lack of intelligent content in his critique of classwork. Heh.


  7. Mrs. Who Says:

    Y'all have pretty much said it all...this man is a disgrace.


Post a Comment