patti
I know, it's all over the top - and yeah it is a lot of work - but on the up side, it takes care of any notion of letting clutter build up too much because once it is time to take all this down and pack it away I am ready to clean every nook and cranny of this place and organize for the coming year - sick to death of clutter by then!

So, on with the tour :) Stepping back into the hall we'll pass these pictures I did. They are shameless copies of Mary Engelbreit work. I don't sell them so no infringement here, I just redraw the Santas I like most - color them in with a variety of media including markers, crayons, colored pencils, and even a bit of glitter here and there. We have thirteen right now - might do more sometime, but not this year.


And into the heart of any home, the kitchen.

Before we go any further, what hostess wouldn't have a little somethin somethin to offer her guests? Would you care for a slice of yummy cake and a cup of coffee?
The boy baked this cake - I hate cooking - it is delicious and devilishly simple. The recipe can be found at the bottom of this post, you'll be surprised at how wonderful it is.


And on with the look around...
The view as I wash dishes.


The dogs' favorite part of the house, their cookies are stored in the large Christmas tree cookie jar.


To the other side of the stove - just because there were not enough colored balls throughout the house...


And then the far side of the sink. I love this little tree with its cabinet of ornaments. It is one of those advent deals - one ornament per day. Even the cabinet is pretty. This was a gift from my D1 and her husband a few years ago. Just love it.
Gus and Fiona love this area because their kibble is in the Santa cookie jar.


Now the top of the cabinets and all the cookie jars and such up there. I'll not show every one - just a sampling. There are 106 pieces of Christmas kitchen ceramic. I counted just for you :)





and as we pass from the kitchen to the dining room, one more pair of Engelbreit al la me...


There will be more tomorrow :)

In the mean time, here is that recipe:

1 yellow cake mix of your choice
1 container Coconut Pecan Frosting

Mix cake according to box directions except use milk instead of water. Add the frosting to the batter. Mix well. Bake in tube pan well greased, though non stick spray works just fine. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 mins. depending on your own oven.
Update - I meant to say that adding a bit of shredded coconut and a hand full of crushed pecans makes the cake even better. Now the boy must bake another for a Christmas function we are attending tonight. Party - I'm supposed to bring a dessert, but as I hate cooking....
6 Responses
  1. Don Says:

    I actually recognized one of your Santas; my mom makes them!

    She does ceramics professionally (even owned a shop for many years while I was growing up). She has a "theme" Santa for almost every (maybe all, but I've lost track) state, and many countries. She once made something like 100 Christmas-themed buildings (houses/shops/churches) to help a friend build a Christmas village that was featured in the Miami Herald. We've got a nice collection of our own, but our growing family has made our current house a little too crowded to set them all up.

    If you ever need more Christmas ceramics, I'll introduce you. Your husband will probably hate me, though...

    :-)


  2. p Says:

    haha - I bet I know which Santa you recognized and I bet it is the one with a Mrs Santa too.
    Those were made for us by my husband's aunt who has since left this world for the next.

    My #1 requirement for any Christmas ceramic purchased is that it MUST be cheap. Most of these I got as gifts, or from a thrift shop, or after Christmas super cheap. I'm a tight wad.


  3. pamibe Says:

    It's like Santa lives at your house!! Amazing... and I thought if anything could get me into the spirit, it would be your beautiful decorating...

    I'll take a piece of pie and cuppa, though. ;)


  4. p Says:

    in about a week we will begin serving the coffee with real whipped cream and the cookies will be coming out of the oven on a regular basis. come on up, we've save you a place :)


  5. diamond dave Says:

    My favorite photo? The one out your kitchen window. What I'd give for a view like that in the morning while making breakfast.


  6. patti Says:

    I thought someone might appreciate that one Dave :) It is nice isn't it? In the summer we can't really see other houses much back there because of the greenery - in the winter of course it is another story.


Post a Comment