patti
Well Joanie, it's back to the real world for me today too.



Days like yesterday have to be recognized and seized - they don't just happen. Every one of us has more on our plates than we can handle. Sometimes we have to force ourselves to step back and breath a moment, lest we go insane. There is always something we can be doing, should be doing, hanging over our heads and such. But are they always things we MUST be doing?

I learned some 15 years ago that all the busy in our lives can come to a screeching halt and what seemed of utmost importance 10 min ago is actually petty or even frivolous when an event, such as a doctor sitting across the table saying your child has an illness with an 85% survival rate, occurs.

It is all in perspectives and priorities. An 85% chance of a large return on an investment is pretty darn tempting. An 85% chance the weather is going to be beautiful on the day you plan to be at the beach will have us all loading up the car with sunscreen, beach toys, and towels. An 85% chance your child is going to survive Wilm's is like being told your child is going go be put in a room with 99 other kids, then someone is going to walk into that room with a gun. Eighty five of the kids will be shot in the kidney and lose that kidney, struggle for a year or two then recover and live - the other fifteen kids will die, and there is very little you can do to affect which your child will be.

That moment (whatever yours may be, that was mine) will put your priorities in order in a hurry, like - instantly. Suddenly the five committees you sit on really can do without you, the garage that needs cleaning can sit, the yard that needs to be tidied up - no biggy. You thought you had bills before? Suddenly you just don't care, they'll all get paid somehow, and so will the hospital bill - no matter what you may have to scale back on, do without - those things will all work out.

I hope all of you can take a day every now and then, preferably a beauty of a day like yesterday (and today for that matter) was here, and breath. Do whatever it is that makes you smile, enjoy the true blessings every single one of us is lavished with - seriously. I've been known to literally sit with a pen and paper and truly list and number my blessings. I run out of time before I run out of blessing. You will too, if you have eyes to see what we've all been given. I certainly hope none of you will need an event like ours to come to that place, though many of you probably already have experienced something equally jolting. And for those of us who have had such experiences in our past, we must beware - oh yes we must - it is so very easy to slide back into the mind set.

OK, musing over - gotta run practice with the boy before guitar teacher arrives :)

Have a blessed one each and every one of you -
11 Responses
  1. JihadGene Says:

    What wonderful advice and a "putting things in their proper place" perspective you have in this piece. Through it all...the good, the bad, and the boring, I pray and having others in your corner praying for you means a lot. It means everything. Praying for you and Joanie. JG;)


  2. patti Says:

    Been praying for Joanie a while myself, in my own general conversation sort of way. Praying for others of you too :) Like, the Goob and safety, Dave et al and their current struggle, Pam's YsD and her confused life, jobs for several of you, and. and. and.
    I love being in this - new for me - community and sharing and caring and pulling for so many. Laughing with you, pulling my hair out and screaming with you. Makes me realize there are good people all over out there. We are not alone - But, OK LeeAnn, find a computer somewhere and wave at us, we miss you.


  3. pamibe Says:

    What a wonderful post! It's a shame some of us never find that balance.

    Re: your comment. I know what you mean about the community; it's probably the sole reason I keep blogging. And yes, my prayer list is long, but I like it that way... and Rosie's still on it. ;)
    Thanks for including YsD; you're the best!


  4. patti Says:

    Thanks to you too Pam, Rose is a long way from not needing prayer - for those inclined to pray for horses :)


  5. diamond dave Says:

    It's difficult for many people to realize just how dramatically life can change in an eyeblink unless they've had it happen to them. I remember such an event in our lives that happened seven years ago and even the mundane things going on in the hours, even moments, before our family dynamics shifted so suddenly to the point where nothing was the same thereafter, and still isn't, for better or worse.


  6. patti Says:

    Even if she did try to dump me on my ass today! There are boogers in the tall weeds ya know....


  7. patti Says:

    Yeah Dave, those sorts of occasions change us forever I think - in some good ways, and some not so good ways. I can say, with the right perspective, it can sure help you not take the blessings so much for granted anymore.


  8. Teresa Says:

    While it's not possible to do this every day, it's a good thing to remember once in a while and take stock of your blessings.

    Too many people spend every waking minute whining because things aren't exactly the way they want them. I prefer to go through life with enjoyment in mind and being happy when I can. It's easy enough to lose it so I like to appreciate what I have.


  9. Mrs. Who Says:

    What a humbling and inspiring post. And thanks for your prayers. Prayers just seem *more* when you've gone through a life-changing event.


  10. Joanie Says:

    Hugs!

    I finally had a day where it was just...a day away and a good one at that. It was so NICE, you know? It was refreshing to have a little normal for a change.


  11. patti Says:

    I know what you mean:)


Post a Comment