patti
Was stung by a wasp yesterday. All I was doing was haltering a young horse - not bothering the wasp, not sitting or standing on the wasp, it was a fly by stinging. I'm allergic to wasps, but not terribly so - much more allergic to hornets, particularly yellow jackets. Generally I try to stay calm around bees and such, in fact this is the first time, in eleven years, I've been stung at the barn. Considering the number of stinging insects regularly to be found there, that is pretty amazing. Not been stung by a yellow jacket since I was 14 or 15, that one bout got me. Maybe I have outgrown the allergy, but not interested in testing the notion.
So today I have a large swelling, bigger than my hand with my fingers spread - hot, red, hard, and angry - on the back of my thigh. I can deal with that. Of course the woman I work for at the barn never even called to see how I was doing yesterday, even though I told her I'd been stung and am allergic. Good thing he got me through my heavy jeans. Probably saved me a much nastier reaction...

Today D2 is getting a root canal. In a few weeks she'll be getting a crown to go with it. Why might a healthy 21 year old who takes very good care of her teeth (never a childhood cavity in her head) need a root canal and crown - to the tune of a few thousand bucks? And no, we don't have dental insurance. Because last January she was playing soccer with a bunch of her Tar Heel buddies and some young man clocked her in the jaw. She won't give me the young man's name, I think she might be a little afraid I'm gonna send him a bill...

For anyone interested in the saga of my horse and her bad foot, she is actually showing improvement finally and we can ride her up to an hour walk/trot only, still no canter, but she is about 98-99% sound and this makes me very happy...

D2 is all moved into her first apartment. Appalachian State, after three national football championships, admits more students on an annual basis than they can house, so even though she is only a sophomore - and our general family policy is no apartment or car of your own until at least junior year - she was unable to get into a dorm so she'll be sharing an apartment, meant for only two, with two other young ladies. All three are music majors and there is quite the assortment of instruments in that apartment- an Irish harp, fiddle, cello, an erhu - LiuQin - and Hu Lu Si (all Chinese instruments), a marimba, clarinet, bassoon, concertina, two Irish flutes, and two penny whistles. There may be more, but those are the ones I can think of right now. Think there is going to be much fun there. The apartment is literally across the street from the music building, so at least we still didn't have to buy her a car...

The boy is finally getting interested in writing. He has his own little blog, his own facebook - for staying in touch with his sisters only!, and is writing a dragon book. Thank goodness, up until the last few months he'd sit for an hour holding the pencil and staring at his paper if I asked him to write something. More than two sentences could take hours...

That's bout all the musing I have time for, gotta get the girl to the root canal appointment.

Update swelling now larger than a dinner plate. At least no hives or closing of throat.
8 Responses
  1. diamond dave Says:

    I hate stinging insects, particularly yellow jackets. I had the misfortune four years ago of cutting the grass and mowing over a yellow jacket nest. I got stung four times before I was able to run inside the house. The little buggers actually swarmed outside my front door for awhile seeing if I was going to return. My daughters barricaded themselves in their bedroom with a towel under the door while I doctored myself in the bathroom, hoping I wouldn't die from an allergic reaction. Fun (not).


  2. patti Says:

    I do the mowing and am always watching ahead for the possibility of a nest. Freightening thought - four stings and I'd be in megga trouble!


  3. pamibe Says:

    Ouch! I'm glad you didn't have a more severe reaction!

    Excellent news re Rosie...! :D


  4. Joanie Says:

    Did you see a doc? Right now the concern is more cellulitis than anything else. Seriously. Similar thing happened to me several years ago with a bee (while setting up a major fireworks show -- I actually threw a cake of fireworks to the ground!) and even though my reaction wasn't as severe as I'd feared, it was cellulitis that screwed me up. It sets in quickly, too, because of the rapid swelling. Don't muck about. Go to the doctor. I'm saying a prayer!


  5. patti Says:

    oops, no, not been to a doc. since it is in my nice flabby cellulitic thigh - if i could get cellutitis anywhere it would be here...


  6. Hapkido Says:

    I hope you're feeling better from the sting. That really sucks!

    On the good side, your horse is getting back to normal & according to Miss Hammy, the only way a horse person can be happy is if her horse is happy! :-)


  7. patti Says:

    Miss Hammy is pretty much right. If you want you can tell her Rose has Navicular Disease in one hoof and we have treated her with Tildron, as well as the standard shoeing changes. She'll know what all that means. You can also tell her the Tildron has actually stimulated new bone growth, which is the best part. I HATE when my horse hurts so much she can barely walk!


  8. Joanie Says:

    Good news on the horse and YOU!


Post a Comment