patti

I just gotta respond to the Washington Post's Sally Quinn - I often don't post on things in the news because so many things I read make me spit and sputter and the words get all jammed up at the tips of my fingers.  Can't get them on the keyboard fast enough, ya know?  But this time I have something to say about this woman's opinion piece so I'm going to share it with you guys.

Go here:
if you'd like to read the full piece.  I'm going to take it bit by bit to say what I have to say about all that, her comments will be in italics, mine will not.

First we have this comment -

*I wasn't going to mention that Beck had called President Obama's religion a "perversion."
OK, So what Beck has said is that Obama's version of  "Christianity" is a perversion of the religion as God intended.  There is a reason that Beck has said this and Glenn has explained it many times.  I must say, Glenn is absolutely right.  Here is the perversion - the idea of collective salvation.  Obama has said, and if I wanted to hunt around on YouTube I could find the video as I have heard it many many times, that our own salvation is dependent upon the salvation of all - that we are all saved together or none is saved.  This is simply not true.  Christianity and God's message is all about individual salvation, individual choice to accept or reject the word of God and Christ as a personal and individual savior.  This is what Christianity is all about.  Any notion of salvation only through the collective is absolutely a perversion of the religion.  It is as simple as that.
Then we go on to this statement -
*But then as I looked at the problems in our country, quite honestly, I feel the hot breath of destruction on our necks.
I have to agree with her that the hot breath of destruction is breathing down our necks, and good for her  for feeling it - now if she only had the ability to recognize the reason for it...

Now we come to this - 
* I can't believe that God's view of those who question the faith of others wouldn't be disapproving and would see it as continuing to create scars that might never heal.
Exodus 20:2-3  I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me... enough said on that subject.

Moving on...
*I think it's time to concentrate on the good things in America, the things that we have accomplished, and the things that we can do tomorrow.
Again she is right, would be nice if she saw that this is in fact much of what Glenn's rally was about - recognizing the good that this country was founded on, the good that has been accomplished since, and the good of the people here now.

Erg...
*I know for instance, that God would want all Americans to respect religious freedom. After all that is what this country is all about.
Americans DO respect religious freedom.  We do know that what she is referring to here is Islam and specifically the building of a mosque in the shadow of ground zero - in a building that was damaged by part of one of the planes no less.  Here is the deal, if these people would only listen and hear what is being said - we do not question the legal right to build the mosque. No one I have heard has argued that they do not have the "legal right" - this is not the point of the protest.  Just because you CAN do something does not always mean you SHOULD so a thing, Just because it is legal does not mean it is the thing to do or that people should just shut up and not express their horror at the lack of understanding or compassion in the notion of building a mosque in THIS place.  We are always being told that we should consider if our words or actions are offensive to some, yet here we have those same thought police telling us that we should shut up when a planned action offends a minimum of 70% of Americans.  It is not that we "hate Islam" or that we are intolerant of Islam or that we don't want mosques built anywhere at all - it is only that this particular place is wholly and entirely inappropriate and offensive to human sensibilities.  What would the left have to say if the US Military decided to build a monument to the greatness of the Cavalry at the sight of Wounded Knee?  They would scream blue murder, that is what they would do, because it would be offensive and insensitive to the extreme - just as this proposed mosque is.  And for the record, just because I/we do not subscribe to a particular religion does not for one minute mean we hate that religion, it does not mean we do not respect the followers of other religions.  
Continuing...
*Today nearly 20 percent of Americans, many of them Glenn Beck Republicans, say the president is a Muslim and they view that as a negative.
Gee, I wonder why the people of this country might be uncomfortable with a president that was Muslim?  Can any of you come up with a reason why that might be a problem?  And why might people have the idea that Obama is a Muslim?  Might it be because actions speak louder than words?  Might it be because he continually insults the nation of Israel and her leaders? Might it be that so many of his words are actually a bolstering and encouragement to Muslims, while he speaks in the Middle East declaring that Americans do not see the US as a Christian country?  Might it be because he assigns NASA scientists the job of making Muslims feel good?  Sally, are you truly so full of the kool-aide that you can't see where people might be a bit confused as to what Obama's "religion" is?  Or why many might feel quite confident that his religion is actually Islam?  It really isn't that difficult to understand. And Beck, God love him, has nothing what so ever to do with it.  Also, um, do you ever listen to Beck?  He is not a Republican - if anything he calls himself a Libertarian.  In fact, if you polled the crowd I'll just bet you would have found a very large part of that crowd, probably more than half, identify themselves as either Libertarian or, like myself independent or unaffiliated.  Many Republicans yes, but guess what - some Democrats too!

Umm...
*I wasn't going to say this but God must be confused.
I on the other hand believe that God is never ever confused and would not want to be standing very close to you when you are engaging in the arrogance of claiming to know what God thinks or that he might even possibly be confused...

* Beck and his followers, who believe that Obama, a Christian, has perverted his religion, and called him a "liberation theologist" (I wonder how many know what that means) also believe he is a Muslim.
OK, I've dealt with this for the most part, but Sally - Do you figure you know another man's heart well enough or stand on the throne of God and declare Obama a Christian?  If I walk about saying I am a giraffe does that make it so?  Wouldn't the evidence indicate the contrary?  And yes, we are very aware of what liberation theology is - are you?


*I really didn't want to bring this up but wouldn't God think it perverted for one person to criticize another's faith? Didn't God make us all in his own image?
Yes, God created man in his image - there is much debate as to exactly what this means, and until the end of days, either our own personal days or the days of this world, we shall not comprehend with certainty exactly what this means - but regardless of the meaning being made in God's image does not serve in and of itself to mean we are saved no matter our personal faith (or religion) or lack there of.  
I would certainly not presume to suggest what God thinks of as perverted or not - but I do know that God expects us to spread the world of personal salvation through the acceptance of the salvation of Jesus Christ and that that salvation is the only way any of us has to get to heaven.  Goodness as a person will not do the trick, none of us on our own is good enough - sorry, it just ain't gonna work that way 'cause try as we might not one of us is perfect.  As the saying goes, there has in all of history ever been only one perfect man - and they crucified him.
There is also that "I am the Lord your God and you shall have no other Gods before me" thing which certainly seems to show that God has a problem with other religions (and the no graven images, no idols thing too)

*One of Becks diciples, who was at the rally, said that "we believe in Jesus Christ. He is our savior" and said Jesus would not agree with the redistribution of wealth. No loaves and fishes for this Christian.
Ok, please do not call us disciples - Beck isn't Christ, none of us who listen to him, love him, or respect him think of him as Christ or even a prophet and I for one am offended at the notion.
And as for the loaves and fishes crack, Jesus was not redistributing wealth - he blessed what was found and multiplied it so that the people who shared got all they had given and more as well as feeding the rest of the gathered masses until they could eat no more and there were still baskets full left over for doggie bags.  This was a miracle.  Performed to illustrate a point, not as a "magic trick" and to equate it with redistribution of wealth is again both stupid and offensive.  Redistribution of wealth by the government takes and gives to others without returning one bit to the giver, and the majority of what is taken goes into the pockets of government drones - bureaucrats and down the rabbit holes of political favors and pet projects, very little of it makes it to actually help anyone in need.  I don't think you will find anyone in this country but yourself who would equate congress and their glee at the notion of redistributing wealth with Jesus.

*I was reluctant to say that something that is beyond man is happening. But when Beck proclaimed that "America today began to turn back to God," I just know that made God really mad. God doesn't demand that anyone turn to him. If he wanted everyone to believe the same thing he would have made it happen. 
Here Sally quotes Glenn then immediately misstates her quote.  Did any of you see a demand in the statement Glenn made?  I heard him say that today America is turning back to God - he made a statement as to what is happening, he did not in any way say that God was making a demand here, did he?  And as for God making everyone believe the same thing if that was what was what he (God) wanted - exactly honey, this is what individual salvation is about (as opposed to collective salvation) God gave each of us the freedom of choice, sort of what the founders tried hard to set up our government to allow for - though the men in that government have worked steadily to take those choices from us from the first gathering of elected legislators but particularly since the beginning of the 20th century. 

And finally-
*I really think Glenn Beck is on to something though. "We are a country of God," he said. I swear I wasn't going to mention this but he has a point. I think he and all of his followers should follow God's command ment to "love thy neighbor." Even if that neighbor is perverted, a liberation theologist, a Muslim, a Catholic a Jew, a Hindu, an atheist or anything else. 
This comment continues the theme of the majority of the media in this country that conservatives are hate filled.  We are all sick to death of this perversion - I am confident that I am correct here. 
 There were atheists in this crowd, as well as Hindu, Catholic, and Jews - I know this as fact because some who fit each of these categories were seated near me and I talked to them, there may well have be Muslims as well, but I didn't speak to any - there is no one standing at a gate anywhere checking the credentials of attendees - anyone can join us and as long as they do not begin to agitate or cause problems they would be welcome.  We do not exclude anyone and frankly welcome any race or religion that wishes to join us - If you want to be brutally honest here Glenn is a Mormon, a group that has taken a great deal of abuse in this nation's history.  He is not trying to convert anyone and I can assure you that was not a crowd of predominantly Mormons - if it were about Glenn's particular religious denomination the crowd would have been stunningly small.  
The Rally was a celebration of God - however you wish to name him or worship him and the role he has played in the founding of this country and the great men of this country and a cry to remember God and turn to him for help - believe me we need his help.  And it was a celebration of honorable men and women who have served this country even unto the ultimate sacrifice in order to preserve our freedom, our right to worship as we see fit - to gather when we feel moved - and even your right to spew your hate and misrepresentations as you see fit Sally.    And it was a celebration of what is right and good in this country and the people of this country.  It was uplifting, it was light and brightness, it was joyous and happy, it was America and what she does at her very best.  
The only hate I saw in DC last Saturday was when I saw the Sharpton march as it made its way down Pennsylvania Avenue.  The people who were marching while shouting "no peace", the people who were threatening and angry and shaking their fists - these were the only people I saw displaying hate.


I feel very lucky to have been there.  It was an absolutely amazing afternoon.  Sally, you have so much to say about it.  Were you there?

10 Responses
  1. pamibe Says:

    Patti, that was as great a job of fisking as I've ever read!! And coincidentally, I agreed with every word! :D

    Very well done!


  2. patti Says:

    Thanks Pam, I was pretty much shooting from the hip and I appreciate you reading all the way through that mess.


  3. Don Says:

    I'm exhausted after being exposed to that much lib brainspew :-). Well written response, my friend. Perhaps you should send her a copy (by registered mail?) Her response, if any, might be entertaining. Or exhausting...

    BTW, I don't know if you're experiencing the same thing that I am, but I've been in the best mood since the rally. I just can't shake it, not that I want to. It's been refreshing.


  4. patti Says:

    If I were to send it to her I'd have to add to it. There is still plenty to be said, but for blog purposes it is already too long and of course She wouldn't bother to actually read and comprehend what I have to say because in the first couple sentences she would label me a hater and not worth her time.
    Either way it was cathartic to write :)


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Very well put. I have been heartened in the last year to see that the high school students I teach are clearly leaning more and more towards logic based conservatism and faith. I realize I teach in a rural town in the Southeast, but a shift is a shift and I hope it is happening elsewhere. These kids are either old enough to vote just this year, or will be by the next presidential election. Cross your fingers...
    D1


  6. patti Says:

    If it is happening in the community around your school this is a very good sign indeed - because your little town is as good an example of rural America as any.


  7. Teresa Says:

    For better or worse we can easily leave off all religious context and just look at what Obama and the current Congress have done in office. That alone is enough to say we need to get different people in and get him replaced at the earliest opportunity.

    All other arguments pull the attention away from these 2 basic facts. I'm not saying they aren't good arguments, just that we need to focus and not let the MSM sidetrack the fact that Obama is a terrible President and Congress is out of control into a heated exchange about religion. They are masters at doing just this sort of thing (like troll commenters).

    I'm not even gonna try and figure out what Obama believes when it comes to "God" (personally I think he believes he should be worshiped so why should he worship another deity... but that's all beside the point). He will do what he always does and let people project for him. His lib buddies will paint him in whatever light they find good at the moment and he'll go with it. Anyone (like Sally) who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention.

    But yes, it is cathartic to get all that stuff out isn't it. LOL.


  8. Peter Says:

    I believe Obama prays every day, just like his spokespoodle says. I just wonder how effective it is to stand in front of the mirror to pray.

    Still, great job on the fisk.


  9. p Says:

    Thanks pete :)


  10. wRitErsbLock Says:

    great post
    the writer sure wrote "i wasn't going to mention this, but..." a lot.


Post a Comment