patti
Why does this song always make me cry?  It grabs something in my gut....



God keep them safe today.

 I hate horse racing, I really do.  Especially racing three year olds.  They are still babies, still developing.  Scores of horses are ruined for life for every successful race horse.  Many die in the pursuit of the finish line - due to the injuries sustained or the stresses of the sport.  But I have to watch this race every year - holding my breath - knowing the power in those heaving chests and the burning desire between those ears.

Excuse me now - I'm headed to the barn to play with my fiery mare.


UPDATE:
ArchArchArch was 15th after starting on the race and provided a scary moment as veterinarians were forced to load the thoroughbred into the ambulance after the race. He appeared to come up lame as the derby was ending, and was diagnosed with a lateral condylar fracture. While any injury in horse racing is not good, ArchArchArch's is not life-threatening.


8 Responses
  1. p Says:

    p.s. I'm glad my girl is of quarter horse blood
    Thoroughbred mare = CRAZY!


  2. Enjoy. I'll be jealously hatin' on ya! Feel my burning hater-hatred for your awesomeness in having a horse. ::jealous::


  3. p Says:

    you should be jealous - she is finally doing really really well.

    then again, you have a boat...


  4. Don Says:

    I'm in agreement about horse racing. As I've told the Missus, the dolts who go out to get drunk and party at Churchill Downs would be just as happy getting drunk while watching the jockeys roll rocks around the track, so why don't we just do that and spare the horses? There are legitimate uses for horses; racing isn't one of them.


  5. patti Says:

    Ditto steeple chasing - I just can't watch that. Mayhem and dead horses for nothing.


  6. pamibe Says:

    I don't like racing, either. Saw it was coming on yesterday and watched a movie instead. Seen too many go down... like you say, for nothing.


  7. Teresa Says:

    I've never been a horse racing fan. It never really grabbed me. I'm thinking this is a good thing. Glad to hear that Arch(x3) is okay.


  8. Laura Says:

    I'm not a horse racing fan either and I was dragged to many a Derby when I lived in Kentucky. I am, however, a Mint Julep fan.


Post a Comment