patti
Yes, I am very glad UBL is dead - and Hell Yeah SEAL Team Six (regardless of whatever name they use for you now, you are who you are)!

But from the beginning I have not felt particularly celebratory.  Just satisfied that he finally got his - or more to the point is finally getting his because I do in fact believe vengeance is within the purview of God and right now justice is being meted out far more appropriately than any of us mere mortals could ever dream up.  UBL will writhe in hell for all eternity - praise the Lord.

And of course I am proud of the SEAL team that got in and out without a single casualty among them (excepting the helo of course), tango dead, mission accomplished and very little co-lateral damage done.  They did their job and did it well - no wasted movement, no wasted lead.

However, I find myself typically disgusted by the words, expression, and behavior of Bam-bam since he first stepped out to make his "I got him" speech.  I find myself typically pleased with the quiet dignity that has been Bush's behavior.  No "look at, me" from W - no going to stand at Ground Zero in order to politicize and capitalize on the closing of one of America's most painful chapters.

I noticed Monday morning, as I watched the taped celebrations on Sunday night in NYC and in front of the White House, that every face I saw - every one - was college age, and I'm thinking they are not celebrating what we think they are.  They are not celebrating the death of UBL or the success of the SEAL team - as they chant U-S-A they are not celebrating the country that gives them the right to rant in the streets pretty much any time they want about pretty much anything they want.  They are celebrating what they think is a victory for Obama.  They are celebrating because they think they will be able to rub this event in the face of conservatives as the 2012 election looms.  They are celebrating because they think this will make Obama unbeatable in that election.   These kids hate the military and hate our involvement in the war on terror.  These are the same kids that protested everything Bush tried to do to bring UBL to justice, the same kids who protest the "enhanced interrogation methods" that enabled UBL's death.

Now yes, I also saw the celebration at West Point - but I'm pretty sure those kids were indeed celebrating the triumph of our military - not the O.

When sober adults are pictured or questioned or when I read the comments of adults on my favorite blogs I'm finding almost all feel like I do.  Grateful, satisfied, relieved - but not joyous.  The death of UBL does not bring back even one of the 3,000 lost - not one of our military lost in the last nine and a half years - and it does not end the threat of terrorism.  In fact - for the near future it probably increases our risk.  Every family member of one lost on 9-11 that I have seen interviewed has likewise been sober, in some cases tearful, as they come to terms with the fact that UBL's death does not bring any solace or balm to their pain - their loved one is still lost to them until such time as they meet in the next life.

We can certainly hope the wealth of intel that should be gleaned from hard-drives, thumb drives, and whatever else was hauled out of the hidey hole will lead to many more deaths and much more destruction of the evil organization that is radical Islam.  We can certainly hope that intel will foil many a future plan for mischief and mayhem.  But if Bam-bam blithers dithers hims and haws about the way he did in the eight or nine months since we have known where UBL was - the roaches will scurry for cover and all that will be for naught.

It is my expectation, based on two and a half years of observation - that blithering, dithering - considering, thinking - and then voting present is exactly what the arrogant One will do. Disgusting.
1 Response
  1. pamibe Says:

    Satisfied, yes. I cannot find it in myself to be joyous, not even for bin laden. As you say, his justice is being meted out now and that's enough.

    The kids celebrating and holding up "Obama 1, Osama 0" signs... yep, they were cheering the president.

    I read an article at Blackfive yesterday, comparing obama's handling of the incident to Bush's. Obama has totally farked it up with his 'I, me, my' and 20 different stories... while it was Bush's policy to let the Pentagon make the statements about such things. Let the experts do what they do best.

    That's only one of the fundamental differences between the two leaders...


Post a Comment