patti
I grew up with music.  My mother was a piano teacher and both pianist and organist for churches from my earliest memories (Baptist, Lutheran, Wesleyan)  Family gatherings in north Florida ALWAYS included several hours of the entire family singing hymn after hymn - my Granny was a choir director and soprano, my Denden an amazing bass, my uncle a choir director and amazing baritone/tenor, my aunt and mother altos and all the rest of us cousins rounded out the choir from one end to the other.  My father played the radio...


Hymns certainly were not the only tunes to be heard in my home - oh no, 50s classics, country (old style), blue grass, folk tunes, 50-60s rock - music always.


I suppose it is no surprise that all my children play instruments and carry music with them always as well.


Because music played such a large roll in my life from birth on, situations almost always bring some song to mind.  Key phrases uttered by people can trigger a song - my kids often are startled when they say something to me and suddenly I start singing some ancient song at them - You've got your green alligators and long neck geese...


So here's the deal - I've found myself singing this over and over the last few weeks...




I know not why God’s wondrous grace
To me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own.


But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.

I know not how this saving faith
To me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His Word
Wrought peace within my heart.



But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.

I know not how the Spirit moves,
Convincing us of sin,
Revealing Jesus through the Word,
Creating faith in Him.



But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.

I know not what of good or ill
May be reserved for me,
Of weary ways or golden days,
Before His face I see.



But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.

I know not when my Lord may come,
At night or noonday fair,
Nor if I walk the vale with Him,
Or meet Him in the air.



But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.

Daniel Whittle  1883

Know what you believe?  Now might be a good time to get thoughts in order. Kind of helps keep you grounded in times of confusion.  Not to preach - I don't do that, sort of a "don't be picking at the splinter in someone else's eye until the log is removed from my own" kind of person - what ever it is that one believes is private and one's own business. But one should have a firm understanding of whatever it is he/she believes and why, otherwise they will be tossed about by the winds of the world.
 Just sayin'
6 Responses
  1. pamibe Says:

    That's a beautiful hymn with a strong message. It must be a blessing to be able to pull upon a virtual library full of music in times of need.

    Wish we'd been musical, at least a bit. Love old hymns and really missed them when I converted to Catholicism.

    My father played the radio...
    Heh... made me smile...


  2. p Says:

    yeah, the music in my family was/is totally on my mother's side.


  3. Mrs. Who Says:

    Beautiful words and a very apropos message for today's unruly times...


  4. diamond dave Says:

    Yep. Many moments and feelings in my life I can associate with some sort of music, sometimes right down to a specific tune.

    And sometimes the right hymn at the right moment can make a world of difference. One I never get tired of is "I Need Thee Every Hour", which is something I forget all too often. Or singing with all the men at our last general conference "High On A Mountain Top" (an LDS classic). I actually had tears rolling down my face after that one.


  5. wRitErsbLock Says:

    hymns are what I miss about church

    music was huge in my life growing up. I, too, always have a lyric to go with any given scenario life throws my way.

    Dad played the organ. Jason & I both took piano lessons (he for 11 years, me for 9). And I had voice and flute lessons, too.

    Trying to teach myself the guitar now. Sporadically, though.

    Music is such a salve for me. I'm so thankful my parents forced me to take the much-hated piano lessons. When I'm stressed out, you're just as likely to see me pounding my frustrations out on my piano as you are to see me pounding them out on asphalt running.


  6. I know what you mean. Any reading of the Psalms at church will awaken a song. I did not grow up with the great Protestant hymns, and my early adulthood is filled with contemporary Christian songs and psalms. But one Catholic hymn stays me in my prayer time or in great need when I know not how to pray; the nuns taught me, "he who sings, prays twice", and well I believe it:

    Come, Holy Ghost; Creator blest,
    And in our hearts take up Thy rest.
    Come with Thy grace and heavn'ly aid
    to fill the hearts Which Thou hast made.

    Oh, Comforter, to Thee we cry,
    Thou, gift of God sent from on High.
    Thou, font of life, And fire of love
    Come with Thy blessings from above.

    It's a plodding little tune with a lovely lift at the end; kinda like life!


Post a Comment