patti
I have the bug - need to make something, create something, learn something new.

There are a few things I have decided to try.  One is engraving with a rotary tool and the other is painting on dishes in something like a polish pottery type style.

 I have the paints for the dishes (did some research then bought the paints at a large crafty type store yesterday) - but no dishes to play with yet.

Have the rotary tool (ordered it from Amazon, it arrived yesterday) and some bits of wood so I'm starting with the wood thing.

 Also got my own camera yesterday so here is a picture of my first attempts to engrave.  Keep in mind I've never done anything like this and I have no idea which bits will work well for the job so there is a lot of experimentation going on and none of this is as clean as I'd like yet.


Did the fish last night, the birds this morning.  I need to find a better way to transfer my designs to the wood.  I can see the design well if I transfer it to the wood without the stain, but then as I work I have trouble seeing what I have carved away because the carved surface is the same color as the uncarved surface.  Staining the surface before I carve solves that problem, but then I can't see the design I transfered anymore.  I'll keep at it until I get it figured out.  Though there is only so much wood lying around here for just messing around.

update - another practice project done:


and another

9 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Hmmm -- stain and then draw it on with a white colored pencil or softer white pencil, like a fabric pencil? I know you are probably drawing and then transferring w/ transfer paper, but maybe you can just draw on the wood? I could also see doing color accents or flourishes w/ such pencils or sharpened pastels? And then maybe a spray sealer to keep the color from smearing?
    D1


  2. Anonymous Says:

    PS I like how the bird one fills up the piece, but I like the fish motif better. I love the flowy fins. D1


  3. patti Says:

    practicing on wood - but ultimately I want to work up to etching on glass. but the will also involve getting some diamond tipped bits.


  4. Teresa Says:

    Wow - very nice! I have no artistic ability at all. I can barely draw a stickman. ;-) That's excellent especially as you've only just started.


  5. p Says:

    Thanks Teresa - there are so many other things I should be doing right now, but the creative bug has been woefully missing for such a long time so I want to take advantage of it while I'm in the mood.


  6. pamibe Says:

    You are SO creative! Love them all, but the tree calls out to me. Beautiful!


  7. Don Says:

    Very nice work! I especially like the one with the tree on it.


  8. vwbug Says:

    Steady hand you have! Sorry, been dealing with star wars lately. Love it. You are very creative!


  9. wRitErsbLock Says:

    wow. that looks very ambitious.


Post a Comment